Power rankings: The best teams entering the final week of the regular season.
1. Mount Vernon (14-2): Rematch with White Plains will be tougher on the road.
2. White Plains (16-2): A loss to Mount Vernon would be damaging to seeding - and mettle.
3. Stepinac (13-6): Stunning win over Mount St. Michael
4. Mount St. Michael (16-2): Had 29-game conference win streak snapped.
5. Peekskill (13-4): The rollercoaster season continues.
On the brink: Ossining (13-4); New Rochelle (14-4); Pelham (15-3); John Jay (12-5); Horace Greeley (14-3).
Journal News/LoHud.com staff rankings by class:
Class AA: 1. Mount Vernon; 2. White Plains; 3. North Rockland
Class A: 1. Stepinac; 2. Mount St. Michael; 3. Peekskill
Class B: 1. Briarcliff; 2. Woodlands; 3. Nanuet
Class C/D: 1. North Salem; 2. Tuckahoe; 3. Leake & Watts
I'll make an attempt to put them all in order, although I'm sure it will elicit some complaints. Anyway, here's who I think 2 on the morning of Feb. 5 2 are the Top 10 large school teams in the area.
1. Mount Vernon (14-2): No. 1 seed well within reach.
2. White Plains (16-2): Gets crack at Mount Vernon at home today.
3. North Rockland (15-2): Staring at No. 2 seed with two more wins.
4. Stepinac (13-6): They beat Mount. Now, can they beat them again?
5. Mount St. Michael (16-2): Still have to be considered favorite in CHSAA
6. Poughkeepsie (15-2): Two home playoff games would be huge
7. Peekskill (13-4): Still No. 1 in Class A with wins over Beacon, Lourdes and Hen Hud.
8. New Rochelle (14-4): Faces Mount Vernon and White Plains this week.
9. Ossining (13-4): Has a lot to lose with Poughkeepsie and Beacon coming up.
10. Spring Valley (11-5): Many believe they're the team to beat in Class A
Honorable mention: Horace Greeley (15-3); John Jay (12-5); Pelham (15-3); Beacon (12-5); Lakeland (12-4).
Staff writer Kevin Devaney Jr. writes a weekly high school boys basketball notebook. Reach him at kdevaneylohud.com. Read his Varsity Insider blog at kickoff.lohudblogs.com.